Joint Inspection of Adult Support and Protection in Moray
Findings and Recommendations
The joint inspection period has now come to an end.
This document will summarise the findings of the report for you. The full inspection report is available on the Care Inspection website here.
- You are committed to improving the safety, health, and wellbeing of adults at risk of harm.
- The involvement of health and police in operational practice supported good outcomes for adults at risk of harm. Staff from these agencies were sharing information appropriately in every instance where they had involvement.
- You supported the adult at risk’s involvement in adult support and protection processes. The collaborative work with advocacy was strong.
- The partnership restructured its Access team. This resulted in a more effective approach to triage and screening of initial inquiries.
- The partnership’s approach to assessments of capacity was timely and effective.
- Strategic leaders collaborated well to ensure that adult support and protection was a priority during the pandemic. This enabled leaders to begin implementing the partnership's improvement plan at a challenging time.
Areas for improvement
- We need to ensure consistency, and make sure we follow the Operational Guidance for Adult Support and Protection and the Grampian Interagency Procedures.
- We need to ensure that full adult support and protection investigations are carried out for all adults at risk of harm who require them.
- We need to improve the quality of chronologies, risk assessments, and protection plans. This will impact positively on the management of risk for adults at risk of harm.
- We need to ensure we involve the adult at risk of harm and unpaid carer more.
- The partnership should prioritise the full implementation of the improvement plan. Strategic leaders should ensure that the appropriate resources are made available.
- Strategic leaders should strengthen governance of adult support and protection practice. There should be robust measures in place to identify concerns early and promptly implement remedial action.
- Strategic leaders should continue to develop multi-agency self- evaluation activities. We need to fully involve you in the design, implementation and consequent improvement work.
The partnership will now develop an improvement plan. This improvement plan will incorporate all recommendations of the report, as well as the improvements we had already identified.
What does this mean for me?
We cannot make the improvements without you.
We will continue to keep you updated and ask for you to be part of the changes we need to make. Changes we need to make will include
- Establish more Multi-agency training
- Involve you in our quality assurance and audit work
- Create Adult Support and Protection ‘live’ events throughout the year
- Take steps to improve case file recording
- Continue to work to embed the operational guidance and procedures
We know that the inspection has placed a significant pressure on staff teams and individuals and we thank you for your hard work and understanding during this time. We could not have done this without you!